I recently made this recipe from another recipe that I’d previously made. It was even better the second time around. It’s Abbey’s infamous Cheesecake recipe – plain, not Strawberry. The first time around, I tried this recipe but didn’t get to sample it. I decided to try the recipe again so that I could taste it! In one word, it was sublime. It really and truly is the best Strawberry Cheesecake I have ever made. I followed the recipe without making any alterations. I also made a quick recipe for strawberry sauce using a fresh strawberry or 2 or 20, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar. The strawberry sauce recipe was terrific. I am not ashamed to admit that I ate 97.8 percent of this strawberry cheesecake on my own. The rest is unaccounted for. I suspect Mama Cream Puff.
Strawberry Cheesecake Recipe.
For the Strawberry Cheesecake recipe crust.:
- 2 cups / 180 g graham cracker crumbs.
- 1 stick / 4 oz butter, melted.
- 2 tbsp. / 24 g sugar.
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract.
For the Strawberry Cheesecake recipe batter.:
- 3 sticks of creamcheese, 8 oz each (total of 24 oz) room temperature.
- 1 cup / 210 g sugar.
- 3 large eggs.
- 1 cup / 8 oz heavy cream.
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice.
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (or the innards of a vanilla bean).
- 1 tbsp. liqueur, optional.
For the Strawberry Sauce topping recipe.:
- A fresh strawberry or 2 or 20 !
- Lemon juice.
- Lemon zest.
- Mix and match recipe ingredients to taste – about 2 cups !
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Begin to boil a large pot of water for the water bath.
- Mix together the crust recipe ingredients and press into your preferred pan. You can press the crust just into the bottom or up the sides too. Baker’s choice. Set crust aside.
- For the cheesecake batter recipe, combine creamcheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand-mixer. Or in a large bowl if using a hand-mixer. Then cream together until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time. And fully incorporate each one before adding the next. For this recipe, make sure to scrape down the bowl in between each egg. Add, according to the recipe, add heavy cream, vanilla, lemon juice, and alcohol. Then blend until cheesecake batter recipe is smooth and creamy.
- Pour cake batter into prepared crust and tap the pan on the counter a few times. Absolutely follow the recipe here to bring all air bubbles to the surface. Place into a larger pan. Then pour boiling water into that until halfway up the side of the cheesecake pan.
- Bake cheesecake 45 to 55 minutes, until it is almost done. This cheesecake recipe can be hard to judge. You’re looking for the cake to hold together and still have a lot of jiggle to it in the center. You don’t want the cheesecake to be completely firm at this stage. Close the oven door, turn the heat off, and let cheesecake rest in the cooling oven for one hour. This lets the cheesecake finish cooking and cool down gently so that it won’t crack on the top. After one hour, remove cheesecake from oven and lift carefully out of water bath. Let cheesecake finish cooling on the counter. Then cover cheesecake and put in the fridge to chill. Once fully chilled, the strawberry cheesecake is ready to serve. Please follow recipe with this timing.
Note 1: The creator of this strawberry cheesecake recipe used to use a spring form pan. But no matter how well she wrapped the thing in tin foil, water would always seep in and make the strawberry cheesecake crust soggy. In the newer recipe, she uses one of those 1-use foil “casserole” shaped pans. They’re water-tight. And when it comes time to serve the strawberry cheesecake, just cut the foil away. While the actual time making this strawberry cheesecake recipe is minimal, follow recipe times exactly. Bake for 45-55mins, cool in oven for 1 hour, and chill overnight before serving. So plan your strawberry cheesecake recipe timing accordingly!
Note 2: Typically, a modern strawberry cheesecake recipe in the United States uses cream cheese. A typical strawberry cheesecake recipe in Italy uses ricotta. And, a typical cheesecake recipe in Germany and Poland uses quark cheese. Also, typically, a strawberry cheesecake recipe is easily baked in a Springform pan.
Credits: This Strawberry Cheesecake Recipe and Strawberry Sauce Recipe is by Ivonne from Cream Puffs in Venice. The original strawberry cheesecake recipe is by Abbey.