I recently made this recipe from another recipe that I’d previously made and it was even better the second time around. It’s Abbey’s infamous Cheesecake recipe (plain, not Strawberry). The first time around, I tried this recipe but didn’t get to sample it. I decided to try the recipe again so that I could taste it! In one word, it was sublime. It really and truly is the best Strawberry Cheesecake/recipe I have ever made. I followed the recipe without making any alterations and made a quick recipe for strawberry sauce using a fresh strawberry or 2 or 20, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar. The strawberry sauce recipe was terrific.
I am not ashamed to say that I ate 97.6 per cent of this strawberry cheesecake recipe on my own. The other 2.4 per cent is unaccounted for. I suspect Mama Cream Puff.
Strawberry Cheesecake Recipe
- 2 cups / 180 g graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick / 4 oz butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. / 24 g sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 sticks of creamcheese, 8 oz each (total of 24 oz) room temperature
- 1 cup / 210 g sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup / 8 oz heavycream
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (or the innards of a vanilla bean)
- 1 tbsp liqueur, optional
- A fresh strawberry or 2 or 20 !
- Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Mix and match recipe ingredients to taste – about 2 cups !
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Begin to boil a large pot of water for the water bath.
- Mix together the crust recipe ingredients and press into your preferred pan. You can press the crust just into the bottom, or up the sides too – baker’s choice. Set crust aside.
- For the cheesecake batter recipe, combine creamcheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand-mixer (or in a large bowl if using a hand-mixer) and cream together until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. For this recipe, make sure to scrape down the bowl in between each egg. Add, according to the recipe, add heavycream, vanilla, lemon juice, and alcohol and blend until cheesecake batter recipe is smooth and creamy.
- Pour cake batter into prepared crust and tap the pan on the counter a few times (absolutely follow recipe here) to bring all air bubbles to the surface. Place into a larger pan and pour boiling water into that until halfway up the side of the cheesecake pan.
- Bake cheesecake 45 to 55 minutes, until it is almost done – this cheesecake recipe can be hard to judge, but you’re looking for the cake to hold together and still have a lot of jiggle to it in the center. You don’t want the cheesecake to be completely firm at this stage. Close the oven door, turn the heat off, and let cheesecake rest in the cooling oven for one hour. This lets the cheesecake finish cooking and cool down gently enough so that it won’t crack on the top. After one hour, remove cheesecake from oven and lift carefully out of water bath. Let cheesecake finish cooling on the counter, and then cover cheesecake and put in the fridge to chill. Once fully chilled, the strawberry cheesecake is ready to serve. Please follow recipe with this timing.
Note 1: The creator of this strawberry cheesecake recipe used to use a spring form pan, but no matter how well she wrapped the thing in tin foil, water would always seep in and make the strawberry cheesecake crust soggy. In the newer recipe, she uses one of those 1-use foil “casserole” shaped pans. They’re water-tight and when it comes time to serve the strawberry cheesecake, just cut the foil away. While the actual time making this strawberry cheesecake recipe is minimal, follow recipe times exactly: bake for 45-55mins, cool in oven for 1 hour, & chill overnight before serving. So plan your strawberry cheesecake recipe timing accordingly!
Note 2: Typically, a modern strawberry cheesecake recipe in the United States uses creamcheese; a typical strawberry cheesecake recipe in Italy uses ricotta; and, a typical cheesecake recipe in Germany and Poland uses quark cheese. Also, typically, a strawberry cheesecake recipe is easily baked in a Springform pan.